top of page
nurse holding stethoscope in shape of a heart

Blog Post

How to Keep Your Hearing Aids Safe from Pets

If you’re one of the 7.1% of adults aged 45 and over who uses a hearing aid, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and you have a pet, it is essential that you keep both your hearing aids and your pets safe from one another. Not only can a pet damage the investment that is your hearing aids, if ingested, but a hearing aid battery can also pose a serious threat to your pet’s health and safety. Below, we review how to keep both your hearing health investment and your furry friend safe.

Storing Your Hearing Aids

A cat looking suspiciously at something.

Whenever you’re not wearing your hearing aids, you must store them somewhere consistent and safe. Consistency is important so you’ll know right away if they go missing. They also should not be accessible to pets. You should choose somewhere high up where they cannot reach or in a drawer that remains closed. Also, note that you should not choose a hot location like a windowsill or a humid location like your bathroom.

Storing Your Batteries

Both new and old batteries should be stored in containers with snap-tight lids. Be sure to label each container clearly so you’re not putting dead batteries in your hearing aids on accident.

When you’re able to, take the old batteries to a recycling center. Never dispose of them in the trash can, as your pet can rummage through them and consume the batteries, which are still extremely hazardous, even if they no longer have power.

Signs Your Pet Ingested a Hearing Aid or Battery

If you suspect your pet ingested a hearing aid or battery, look for the following signs:

  1. They won’t eat or drink, or they try but can’t swallow.

  2. They’re vomiting or drooling.

  3. Their tongue is red, or their skin is gray.

  4. They’re whimpering as if in pain.

These signs may not show up until 12 hours after ingestion.

What If Your Pet Does Ingest a Hearing Aid or Battery

Immediately after you notice the signs, take your pet to an emergency veterinarian clinic. Check what kind of batteries they ingested so the vet knows what to do.

To learn more about keeping your hearing aids away from your pet or to schedule an appointment with a hearing aid expert, call Topeka Ear Nose & Throat today.


bottom of page